Our priority is always the health and safety of every member of our campus community as well as the patients we serve today and in the future. Click here for more information.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act - Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Grant at Midwestern University provides emergency financial assistance to eligible students who are experiencing hardship that could adversely affect their educational success. The main criteria for a grant are the demonstration of a genuine need and that the capacity for continued study may be in jeopardy due to financial hardship. Applicants must be able to provide documentation supporting the need.
Students who plan to submit an application for a CARES HEERF Grant should contact the Office of Student Financial Services at the Glendale Campus or Downers Grove Campus for guidance on the application process. Please note that all requests for information will remain confidential.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR A CARES HEERF GRANT:
- Students must be registered at Midwestern University for the current quarter.
- Students must be matriculated.
- Students must have a record of good conduct.
- Students must have a current emergency need.
- Students must demonstrate an ability and intention to complete their course of study.
- Students must be available for a virtual consultation and be willing to participate in post-award questionnaires.
- Only students residing in the United States are eligible to apply for the CARES HEERF Grant.
- Students must currently be eligible for Federal Title IV Financial Aid.
- Expense must be incurred subsequent to March 13, 2020.
Examples of emergencies include, but are not limited to:
- Expense related to transition to remote learning.
- Additional housing expenses for extended quarters.
- Unexpected expenses due to illness or death in the immediate family specifically related to COVID-19.
- Additional tuition or fees. Please note that students must have a previously arranged tuition payment plan in place for Spring 2020. Students must have proven documentation of loss of income or unexpected financial challenges specific to COVID-19.
- Other (you will be asked to provide a detailed explanation of your emergency).
The CARES HEERF Grant cannot be used for:
- Previous educational debts.
- Credit card debts or loan payments.
- Legal representation or services.
Maximum Award: $1200.00 subject to supporting documentation. However, the final award amount will be based on need as described in the student’s application and as supported by the appropriate documentation.
Applicants will be contacted three to five days after submitting their application.
As the grant draws on a limited pool of funds, Midwestern cannot guarantee the availability of funds for assistance.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CARES HEERF GRANT
Applications are available online (link included below) and include:
- A statement explaining
- your emergency and how the current situation is affecting your studies.
- what the requested funds will be used for. You will be asked to itemize each cost and provide supporting documentation for each item.
- what you have done and what you are planning to do in order to resolve your crisis and stay enrolled in School.
Students can apply through their Student Portal. This is the best way to apply and provide supporting documentation. Click on the image below to redirect to the Student Portal.
Upon review of the student’s eligibility, complete applications will be reviewed by Student Financial Services and a determination will be made. Decisions are final. If approved, the grant will be disbursed to the student within 5 - 7 business days of the approval date.
In additon to applying on the Student Portal, students can click on the links below to download the application form for each campus. You will need to complete the form using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. The form will not transmit if you complete it using your browser.
If you need to print and sign your application, you can submit it to:
IL Office of Student Financial Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
AZ Office of Student Financial Services: email@example.com