Science Hall Media Facts
Midwestern University Science Hall Fast Facts
- Opened July 2011
- Approximately 239,000 square feet
- Provides state-of-the-art classrooms and a simulated laboratory for MWU students
- Science Hall is a technology-rich, high-energy efficient building that is controlled by a Building Automation System which controls the temperatures in occupied and unoccupied spaces.
- High energy efficient lighting is also occupied and unoccupied controlled. In addition, high-energy efficient glass was used on the exterior of the building.
- Smart classrooms are located throughout the first and second floors. Each classroom includes a high definition projector capable of both standard and wide screen formats and a custom instructor's station lectern.
- Classrooms with seating over 40 additionally have wireless microphones and speech reinforcement.
- More than 25 fully-equipped laboratories provide space for faculty members to conduct life science research. Midwestern faculty submitted 66 proposals requesting more than $15.5 million in funding in fiscal year 2011.
- Faculty moved into the more than 100 office spaces where they can meet with students, consult departmental colleagues, and plan for the academic year.
College of Dental Medicine-Illinois Clinical Simulation Laboratory Features
- CDMI faculty teach with the support of a high-definition video closed network.
- There are 136 student stations and one presentation station, all equipped with a simulator and related dental instrumentation as well as personal 19" display monitors for instruction.
- The six Intra-oral Radiography rooms use a digital system and human simulator. Images are captured on an intra-oral CCD sensor and are up-loaded immediately for interpretation to a local computer workstation.
- All presented content may be recorded for instant playback or archiving for later review.
- Designed to accommodate about 230 students at one time to take an exam electronically.
Gross Anatomy Lab
- 11 47" high definition monitors are mounted on the perimeter of the room to allow students to view presentations from any furniture configuration of the room
Click here to view a short video of the contruction and opening day footage.
Jill Blair-Smith, Midwestern University Office of Communications, 630/515-7250