National Boards Policy
College of Dental Medicine-Illinois
All students are required to pass the NBDE Part I examination before the first day of the fall quarter of Y-3. If students encounter a catastrophic event that prevents them from taking the examination during that timeframe, the Dean may allow them to enter Y-3 and take the examination at a later date (mutually agreed upon by the student and Dean).
Students who fail to pass the NBDE Part I on their first attempt will be allowed to continue as registered students as noted below. Students:
- Must meet with the Dean of Basic Sciences, the Dean of Students, and the Associate Dean, MWU CDMI to develop an individualized course of study focused toward retaking and passing the NBDE Part I. This will include recommendations to the student to uncover potential test-taking challenges and develop a structured study schedule.
- Will be provided with a list of available resources in order to adequately prepare for a repeat examination. Students will be advised to take a formalized board review course. Any associated expenses and arrangements are the responsibility of students.
Students who fail to pass the NBDE Part I on their second attempt will be allowed to continue as registered students as noted below. Students:
- Will meet with the Dean of Basic Sciences, the Dean of Students, the Associate Dean, MWU CDMI, and selected Basic Science course directors to discuss a strategy for retaking and passing the NBDE Part I. Students will be required to retake the examination at a date approved by the Dean upon recommendation of the above individuals.
- May be required to take an Independent Study elective or leave of absence in order to prepare for the retake of NBDE Part I at the date specified by the Dean. The Independent Study elective may include a long-term board preparation course. Tuition, related expenses, and arrangements are the responsibility of students.
- Are required to sit for the NBDE Part I (third attempt) and if successful, are then eligible to continue in Y-3.
Students who fail to pass NBDE Part I for the third time need to wait one full year prior to retaking the examination per National Board rules, and they will be required to appear before the Student Academic Progress Committee 1. The committee may recommend a further remediation plan or recommend dismissal for failure to meet the academic requirements of MWU CDMI. These students will be charged tuition on a prorated basis for additional months of education.
Passing any portion of a licensing examination is not a substitute for passing a Midwestern University course.