Externships are completed sequentially. When a student either fails or receives a withdrawal failure (WF) in an externship he/she must petition the Student Promotion and Graduation Committee within 5 calendar days after the last day of the failed or withdrawn failed externship to retake the same type of externship. In this case, the Student Promotion and Graduation Committee will review the failure based on the College policies regarding course failures. After consideration of the circumstances of the failure or WF, the Student Promotion and Graduation Committee may exercise any combination of the following options:
1. Place the student in an extended program, if eligible;
2. Put the student on a leave of absence to undergo a period of independent study;
3. Place the student on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) under the direction of the course director;
4. Require the student to repeat the failed externship rotation;
5. Require that the student take coursework; or
6. Be dismissed from the program.
The Committee's options are not limited to the above and can be modified on a case-by-case basis. The timing of any reassignment will be as early as possible once the student has satisfied the Committee's requirements or concurrent completion with reassignment and is subject to availability of sites as determined by the College. The reassignment, if granted, must be completed within 12 calendar months of the date the petition is received by the Dean's Office. If the student does not successfully complete the assigned options or fails (or receives a WF) the externship on the reassignment, he/she will be dismissed from the program. Students are allowed only one failed or withdrawn failed externship, and only one retake of the failed or withdrawn failed externship while enrolled at the college.