January 17, 2017
High school students interested in an in-depth look at healthcare careers are encouraged to apply for Midwestern University's eight-day Health Careers Institute for High School Students, which will take place on the University's Glendale Campus from July 13 - 22.
This FREE program, sponsored by Midwestern University and the BHHS Legacy Foundation, is open to current high school juniors and seniors with a serious interest in science. Forty-eight participants will be selected based on their interest in the health professions, as demonstrated by school coursework, volunteer activities, high school transcript, a teacher recommendation letter, and an application essay.
Applications for the annual summer event must be postmarked by May 1. Go to www.midwestern.edu/azhealthcareersinstitute to download an application or call 623/572-3353.
Each day from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm during this exciting hands-on program, Midwestern faculty and advanced students will teach workshops in anatomy, physiology, and introductory skills for various health professions, with a special focus on how to prepare for college and what to expect from each profession. Guest lectures will include current medical topics such as Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Drug Abuse, Healthcare Volunteer Opportunities, and more. In addition, participants will attend a medical field trip to Arrowhead Hospital and an interactive Emergency Medical Services mock rescue scenario presented by the Glendale Fire Department.
Hands-on lab topics, among others, will include:
- A Visit to the Anatomy Lab
- Surgery Basics: Suturing, Gowning, and More
- Vital Signs & Other Physical Exam Skills
- The Heart-Lung Machine & Open-Heart Surgery
- Beyond Medication: The Role of the Pharmacist
- Inside the High-Tech Dental Medicine Lab
- Physical Therapy in Motion: Skills & Assessment
- Osteopathic Medicine: A Hands-on Approach
- Podiatric Medicine: the Lower Extremities
- Sports Vision Training: Beyond Hand-Eye Coordination
- Veterinary Medicine Skills Workshop
Health Careers Institute for High School Students, July 13 to July 22, 2017
Application Deadline: May 1, 2017 (Must be current junior or senior in high school)
Contact: 623/572-3353, email@example.com