June 05, 2018 | Midwestern University
Midwestern University recently held commencement ceremonies on its campuses in Downers Grove, Illinois and Glendale, Arizona to celebrate the more than 1,500 healthcare professions graduates who are preparing to begin their professional lives.
Among those honored were the first graduating classes from the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Glendale-based Speech-Language Pathology program from the College of Health Sciences. The College of Veterinary Medicine is the first and only Arizona college to offer the four-year Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) degree.
During the ceremonies, Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Midwestern University, acknowledged the many achievements of the graduates during their years of rigorous study and clinical experiences. "I want you to always remember that you are well-trained, you are well-educated, and you can be successful." Dr. Goeppinger told the graduates. "As you move forward, go with confidence that you are ready to become part of the healthcare team."
Graduating Programs, Spring 2018
- Osteopathic Medicine: The Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine honored 456 graduates who earned Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degrees. More than half of the graduates from both colleges will enter primary care residencies; Class of 2018 graduates will also pursue various specialties including emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, ophthalmology, radiology, psychiatry, and anesthesiology in local and national residency programs.
- Pharmacy: Between the Chicago College of Pharmacy and the College of Pharmacy-Glendale, nearly 320 new Doctors of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) are preparing to enter the workforce.
- Health Sciences: The College of Health Sciences graduated over 480 students from Physical Therapy, Biomedical Sciences and Speech-Language Pathology programs on both campuses, as well as Cardiovascular Perfusion and Podiatry in Arizona.
- Dental Medicine: The College of Dental Medicine-Illinois and the College of Dental Medicine-Arizona combined to graduate over 260 students earning Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degrees.
- Optometry: The Arizona College of Optometry celebrated 57 Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) graduates from its Class of 2018.
- Veterinary Medicine: The College of Veterinary Medicine celebrates the graduation of 90 members of its inaugural class
The commencement ceremonies were held in the Glendale Campus Auditorium and in the auditorium at Cardinal Hall in Downers Grove. Each commencement featured remarks from members of the graduating class and a special recognition of the 68 students beginning their healthcare careers in the military.