The Summer Eye Experience at the Chicago College of Optometry (SEE at CCO) is a three-day program that will expose students to the Doctor of Optometry degree. Students will attend workshops tailored specifically for those interested in pursuing a future in optometry. Sessions will be offered to help prepare the student’s application portfolio for admission, and classes will provide a glimpse into the day of an optometry student. Students will also attend hands-on laboratories where they will learn basic optometric skills.
- Tour of the Midwestern University Downers Grove Campus, including classrooms and research labs
- Tour of the Midwestern University Eye Institute at our Multispecialty Clinic
- Attend topic discussions led by faculty of the Chicago College of Optometry
- Participate in preclinical procedures
- Attend application workshop on preparing an OptomCAS application, taking the OAT exam, and making a good impression during an interview
Monday, June 14 beginning at 8:30 AM through Wednesday, June 16 ending at 4:30 PM.
- Student must be interested in a career in optometry.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program. Preference will be given to those entering their junior or senior year.
- Students who have already completed a B.S. or B.A. degree, or those who are enrolled in a post-baccalaureate or graduate program, are also eligible to apply.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.0) is recommended.
Application Process and Deadlines
- Application to SEE at CCO
- Send the Recommendation Request Form from the application to the faculty member or advisor, and ask that they complete and submit to the e-mail address below.
- A complete set of official college transcripts, which can be e-mailed securely from the college or university to the e-mail address below.
All components of the application can be e-mailed to Dr. John Gialousakis at:
or mailed to:
SEE at CCO - Midwestern University
ATTN: Dr. John Gialousakis
555 31st Street, Cardinal Hall-Optometry
Downers Grove, IL 60515
A completed application must be submitted by March 15, 2021.
Applicants will be notified via e-mail of their acceptance no later than April 1, 2021.
There are no registration fees to participate. Participants will be responsible for travel to and from Midwestern University's Downers Grove, IL campus, as well as their own accommodations. Meals (breakfast and lunch) will be covered by CCO.
During the program, participants will be introduced to the exciting world of optometry. Below is a tentative outline of the 2021 SEE at CCO program. Click HERE for a printable flier.
June 14- 16, 2021 | Tentative Schedule
|8:30||Breakfast & Orientation||Breakfast||Breakfast|
|9:30||Optometry Building Tour|
|10:00||Low Vision||Preparing for the OAT|
|10:30||Academic Campus Tour|
|11:00||Pediatrics and Vision Therapy||Preparing for OptomCAS|
|12:00||Lunch with OD Students||Lunch with Faculty||Lunch|
|1:00||Eye Institute Tour||Ocular Anatomy||Tips & Tricks to Rock Your Interview|
|2:00||Clinic Shadowing||Primary Care and Ocular Disease||Admissions Discussion|
|3:00||Discussion with incoming OD Students|
|4:00||Discussion with Current OD Students||Contact Lenses||Farewell Reception|
Day One: learn about CCO (academic and clinical sides) as well as talk with current students
Day Two: a day in the life of an optometry student (optometric specialties)
Day Three: preparing for optometry school admission (studying, applying, OAT, interview)
For questions about the SEE at CCO program, please contact Dr. John Gialousakis at 630/960-3185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.