Our priority is always the health and safety of every member of our campus community as well as the patients we serve today and in the future. Click here for more information.
One-week Summer Program for High School Sophomores and Juniors
*** We regret to announce that the 2021 program has been cancelled. ***
We are planning to return to an on-campus program in 2022. If you are interested in learning more as details become available, please email your name to us and reference this program to CPDG@midwestern.edu. We will add you to our notification list for next year's PharmAcademy program. You may also learn more about our Early Assurance Programs for high school students.
Discover if Pharmacy is the Career for You
This program offers a fun and comprehensive learning experience about the diverse career paths in pharmacy from expert pharmacy faculty and practitioners. During this program, students will spend five half-days on their own home computers learning from Midwestern University faculty, practicing pharmacists, alumni, and current pharmacy students. This summer session will take place from June 28th thru July 2nd, from 9:00am to 2:00pm, and will include interactive presentations and small group games.
Our program will likely cover these topics:
Activities in Pharmacy Practice
- Pediatric medication administration
- Infectious diseases
- Veterinary medicine
- Internal medicine and cardiology
- Oncology care pharmacy
- Ambulatory care & diabetes
- Substance abuse disorder
- Community pharmacy
- Solid organ transplant
- Pharmacy information technology
- Natural products
- Pharmacy research
- Team building exercises/games
- Lab and device demonstrations
Midwestern University has been offering a summer pharmacy program for high school students for 20 years. Most of the past participants have gone on to pursue various careers in pharmacy.
As the profession continues to evolve, there are numerous career paths in pharmacy. So each day in the program will offer different activities and discussions about various topics in pharmacy practice. For your reference, here was Last Year's Schedule for the Virtual PharmAcademy Progam. This year's program will vary to include more team activities, slight adjustment in timeframe, but cover many of the same topics.
Did You Know? Pharmacists Today...
- Are at the forefront of healthcare and its innovations
- Have been on the front lines during the COVID-19 healthcare crisis, as well as providing vaccinations to fight the pandemic
- Merge science, patient care, technology, business, and math skills
- Practice in a variety of settings including hospitals, clinics, corporate offices, etc.
- Earn an average annual salary of $128,090, per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2020
- Are the medication experts on healthcare teams
- Are one of the most highly trusted professionals
- Have good communication, team work, and leadership skills
- Are in demand with job security
A Pharmacy Career Has Many Options
Hospital: Emergency Medicine • Oncology • Infectious Diseases • Cardiology • Pediatrics • Critical Care • Organ Transplant • Nuclear • Specialty • Drug Information
Community: Chain and Independent Pharmacies • Compounding • Community Health Center • General Medicine • Long-term Care • Veterinary
Corporate: Pharmaceutical Research and Development • Translational Research • Information Technology • Consulting • Government Agencies And many more ...