Our priority is always the health and safety of every member of our campus community as well as the patients we serve today and in the future. Click here for more information.
Experience patient care in innovative community pharmacy settings. Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy (MWU-CCP) is affiliated with an APhA/ASHP-accredited community pharmacy residency program in Chicago's western suburbs. Our partnership with Jewel-Osco Pharmacy allows residents opportunities to develop patient care skills in the community pharmacy setting while benefiting from the resources and teaching opportunities provided by MWU-CCP. Our unique emphasis on developing both community pharmacy practice and teaching skills provide residents with numerous career and professional opportunities.
- Provide innovative patient care services.
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate new and existing professional services.
- Gain practical pharmacy leadership and management experience.
- Develop ambulatory care practice skills with MWU-CCP faculty specializing in medication therapy management, diabetes, anticoagulation, lipid management, asthma, smoking cessation, and hypertension.
- Present residency projects at regional and national professional conferences.
- Participate in didactic lectures, workshops, student precepting, and other professional education programs with MWU-CCP.
The residency is for 12 consecutive months beginning in June/July.
Qualifications of the Resident
Applicants for each program must have graduated with the PharmD degree and be eligible for pharmacist licensure in Illinois at the time they start the residency. Applicants must be motivated, self-directed, and have excellent communication skills. Work experience in community pharmacy, as well as a commitment to pursuing a career in this setting, is desirable.
Salary and Benefits
Each resident will receive a competitive stipend and benefit package. Support for attending regional and national professional meetings and conferences is also available.
Each resident will receive a faculty appointment from MWU-CCP as a Visiting Instructor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice. Benefits of the appointment include use of MWU facilities and opportunities to learn and teach with Chicago College of Pharmacy faculty.
Applications and Additional Information
Jewel-Osco participates in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS). Interested candidates can apply at https://portal.phorcas.org.
For more information about MWU-CCP's community pharmacy residency program, contact:
Susan R. Winkler, PharmD, BCPS, FCCP
Coordinator, Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Chicago College of Pharmacy
555 31st Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Jewel-Osco Community Pharmacy Residency Partnership
Albertsons Companies operates over 180 community pharmacy locations under the Jewel-Osco banner in the Chicagoland market. Each residency position maintains a primary pharmacy affiliation in the western suburbs. The purpose of the program is to build upon the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop community-based pharmacist practitioners with diverse patient care, leadership, and education skills.
- Provide patient care services, including medication therapy management (MTM), disease state management, diabetes education, wellness services, and routine and travel immunizations.
- Develop and implement pharmacy-based services.
- Manage and lead a profitable pharmacy that is clinically effective.
- Participate in corporate-level leadership opportunities involving pharmacy operations, managed care, recruiting, and compliance.
Please check PhORCAS for the application deadline for this program.