The Chicago College of Optometry
The inaugural class of students at the Chicago College of Optometry began their studies in the Fall of 2017. The four-year program provides students with a strong foundation in the basic and visual sciences, the application of scientific principles to diagnose and manage eye disorders, and extensive patient care experiences under the supervision of expert optometry faculty members.
The mission of the Chicago College of Optometry is to develop competent individuals who embrace lifelong learning through the pursuit of excellence in education, research, scholarship, and patient care for a diverse society. The College's educational programs emphasize and promote public health, leadership, ethics, professionalism, compassion, commitment, collegiality, and sense of community.
The Midwestern University Chicago College of Optometry has the vision to:
- Deliver an exceptional optometric educational experience utilizing our unique multi-health professional setting and cutting edge technology.
- Provide our students with the knowledge and skills to deliver the highest level of professional, ethical and compassionate eye and vision care.
- Recruit qualified students; promote lifelong learning, community outreach, and innovative research; and develop leaders in the profession and communities.
Vision & Goals
The Midwestern University Chicago College of Optometry will pursue the following goals:
Deliver a comprehensive Doctor of Optometry degree program that prepares graduates for contemporary entry-level practice and encourages and fosters advanced training, in order to serve the interests and needs of the broader community.
Present an innovative optometry program with faculty committed to learning and teaching the current research and evidence based medicine applications using technologies to provide an exceptional educational experience for students.
- Develop and support the faculty and students in their commitment to research and scholarly activities and excellence in patient care.
- Graduate students who have achieved the learning outcomes as defined by the Faculty.
- Improve patient care through promotion of interprofessional educational programming and the Midwestern University One Health Quality Initiative.
- Foster a commitment to professional, collegial, and ethical practices in patient care while promoting public service to diverse communities.
- Develop a high quality program appropriate for optometry residents at an affiliated or Midwestern University sponsored accredited optometry residency site.
- Serve the eye and vision healthcare needs of Downers Grove and neighboring communities through the Midwestern University Eye Institute.
- Provide and encourage lifelong learning and support services to the optometric profession.
- Develop leaders in the optometric profession and the healthcare community.
Learn more about the optometry program at the Chicago College of Optometry.
CCO News & Events
First and second-year students will receive their clinical white coats at the White Coat Ceremony on October 2nd. During the ...
Downers Grove, IL
First and second-year students will receive their clinical white coats at the White Coat Ceremony on September 25th. During t...
Stay safe at our free socially distanced Trick or Treat event.