University of Missouri-Columbia | 1993 | B.Sc.Ed.
Dr. Henderson received his Ph.D. in Integrative Physiology at Kansas University Medical Center in 2001 with studies focusing on the oxygen transport system and effects of exercise and acclimatization to hypoxia. He completed his Postdoctoral training on endothelial function, diet and exercise using a swine model at the University of Missouri-Columbia in 2004; with additional Postdoctoral training on cell signaling in the Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics at Loyola University. In 2007 he became an Assistant Professor at the Cardiovascular Institute at Loyola University Chicago. During this time he served as an interim Small Animal Core Director for animal models of heart failure. In 2011, he joined Midwestern University and was promoted to Associate professor with tenure in 2016. His research now focuses on the mechanisms and efficacy of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine on low-back pain and the cardio-pulmonary system.
Downers Grove, IL
Chicago College of Optometry
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
College of Dental Medicine-Illinois
College of Health Sciences - IL
Biomedical Sciences (M.A.)
Biomedical Sciences (M.B.S.)
Physician Assistant Studies
University of Missouri-Columbia | 1993 | B.Sc.Ed.
Chicago College of Pharmacy, Midwestern University
1521 Human Physiology II: Pulmonary & Acid Base Physiology Lecturer 2011-Present
College of Dental Medicine-Illinois, Midwestern University
IBSS 1505 (now 1531) Cardiovascular System: Director 2015-Present
IBSS 1507 (now 1533 and 1540) Respiratory and Acid Base Lecturer 2012-Present
IBSS 1533 Renal Physiology/Pathophysiology Lecturer 2020-Present
IBSS 1507 Resp. & Urogenital Director 2017-2019
IBSSD 1533 Respiratory System Director 2020-Present
IBSS 1621 Cardiovascular Simulation Lecturer 2016-2018
Chicago College of Health Sciences, Midwestern University
1511 Human Physiology: Acid Base Physiology Lecturer 2013-Present
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Midwestern University
1501 Physiology: Small Groups Facilitator 2011-Present
Clin 1501 Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine: Homeostasis Lecturer 2015-2016
1502 Physiology: Small Groups and Acid Base Physiology Lecturer 2011-Present
Chicago College of Optometry, Midwestern University
1531 Human Physiology II: Pulmonary & Acid Base Physiology Lecturer 2017-Present
Osteopathic Research: With an appointment in the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University, I started learning about Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). OMM treatments have proven efficacy, but lack physiological mechanisms to define their use as evidence based medicine. In 2014, I requested and obtained a joint appointment in the Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Department. Working with Dr. Kurt Heinking (Chair of the OMM Department) we are currently building various research programs that will focus on Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT). This includes the effect of somatic dysfunction and fascial strain patterns on pulmonary function, the effect of HVLA on low back pain and sympathetic tone, and Cranial Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. Because cranial osteopathy is one of the most difficult topics to teach and skill to master; we are working on ways to visualize and measure cranial motion and to identify mechanisms for volumetric changes. This line of research has multiple collaborative possibilities with Speech Language Pathology (Dr. Megan Cuellar), Physical Therapy (Dr. Janey Prodoehl), Dental Medicine (Dr. Charles Patterson and Dr. Larry Williams), and Clinical Integration (Dr. Mireille Rizkalla).
- Henderson, K.K., S. Danzi, J.T. Paul, G. Leya, I. Klein, and A.M. Samarel. Myocardial infarction and low T3 syndrome: effect of thyroid hormone replacement on left ventricular function. Circ. Heart Failure. 2:243-252, 2009.
- Kottam, A., J. Dubois, A. McElligott and K.K. Henderson. Novel Approach to Admittance to Volume Conversion for Ventricular Volume Measurement. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011:2514-7, 2011.
- Govindan S., A. McElligott, S. Muthusamy, N. Nair, D. Barefield, J.L. Martin, E. Gongora, K.D. Greis, P.K. Luther, S. Winegrad, K.K. Henderson, and S. Sadayappan. Cardiac myosin binding protein-C is a potential diagnostic biomarker for myocardial infarction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. Jan; 52(1): 154-64, 2012.
- Henderson, K.K., J. Parker, and K. Heinking. Mountaineering-Induced Bilateral Plantar Paresthesia. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2014; 114(7):549-555. doi:10.7556/jaoa.2014.108.
- Zafiratos, M.T., S. Manam, K.K. Henderson, K.H. Ramsey, A.K. Murthy. CD8+ T cells Mediate Chlamydia pneumoniae Induced Atherosclerosis in Mice. Pathogens and Disease 2015. Oct;73(7).
- Tamayo, C.A., M. Rizkalla, and K.K. Henderson. Cognitive, Behavioral and Emotional Empathy in Pharmacy Students: Targeting Programs for Curriculum Modification. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2016. April 7(96) : 1-8.
- Rizkalla, M., K.K. Henderson, K. Huntington-Alfano, K.P. Heinking, N.D. Krumdick, A. Koronkiewicz, M. Knees, H. Hoffman, F. Elahi, and A. Impens. Does Osteopathic Manipulation Make a Neuropsychological Brain of Difference in Adults with Pain? A BOD Study Protocol and Rational for a New Approach. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2018 Sept 1; 118(9): 614-622.
- Rizkalla, M. and K.K. Henderson. Empathy and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine: Is It All in the Hands? J Am Osteopathic Assoc. 2018 Sept 1 ; 118(9) : 573-585.
Member: American Physiological Society
Member: Sigma Xi
Member: American Association for the Advancement of Science
Member: National Association for Biomedical Research
Member: American Dental Education Association
Member: American Osteopathic Association
Member: American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO)
Vice Chair: AAO: Louisa Burns Osteopathic Research Committee
Title: Analytical Assessment of the Cranial Rhythmic Impulse
Agency: American Academy of Osteopathy
PI: Kyle K Henderson, PhD
Phi Zeta Research Award; Department of Biomedical Science; University of Missouri-Columbia
American Physiological Society: Environmental and Exercise Physiology Section; Gatorade Postdoctoral Award
Falk Cardiovascular Research Fellowship: Cardiovascular Institute, Loyola University Medical Center
Beck/Scanlon Cardiovascular Scientist Development Award: Cardiovascular Institute, Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago Children’s Heart Association: Community Service Award
American Heart Association: 2013 Research Champion of the Year
American Heart Association: 2014 Chicago Marathon Team Member