Visa Requirements and Maintaining a Legal Status
Once the I-20 document has been issued, make sure you contact the U.S. Embassy in your country to find out more about the visa requirements
- You will need a valid passport
- Before your visa appointment, you will be required to submit a SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) form I-901 and pay the I-901 fee online. Please process the I-901 application as soon as possible so you have enough time to enter the United States for orientation.
- Make sure you have your I-20 form, SEVIS I-901 fee receipt, school acceptance letter and financial support documents for your consular visa appointment
All international students are required by Federal regulations to maintain their valid status while residing in the U.S.
- Always keep your documents current
- Maintain a full time course load during every academic session except during official break weeks.
- Report any changes immediately to the Registrar's office
- Notify the Registrar if you plan to transfer to another U.S institution
- File annual income taxes
- Do not work on or off campus without proper authorization
- Make sure your fees are paid so your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is up-to-date and in Active status. SEVIS is a database that contains information for all F-1 students. A Designated School Official (DSO) places your record in Active status when you report to the school and after the first day of class.
Transferring from another U.S. Institution
International students transferring from one school to another within the United States must contact the Registrar's office immediately.
- For Downers Grove, IL campus, the school code for transferring your SEVIS record is CHI214F10670000
For the Downers Grove, IL campus, please contact Nathan Ernst, PDSO (Principal Designated School Official) at 630-515-6074 or at ILregistrar@midwestern.edu
- For Glendale, AZ campus, the school code for transferring your SEVIS record is PHO214F00539000
For the Glendale, AZ campus, please contact Christy Schenk, PDSO (Principal Designated School Official) at 623-572-3271 or at firstname.lastname@example.org