Speech-Language Pathology Program
Individuals applying for admission to the College of Health Sciences Speech-Language Pathology Program must submit documentation of the following minimum requirements before the academic year commences for the incoming class:
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution in Communication Sciences and Disorders, inclusive of the courses listed below, or
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution in an area other than Communication Sciences and Disorders with completion of a specified sequence of prerequisite coursework including all of the following:
- Anatomy and Physiology of Communication Mechanisms
- Speech and Language Development
- Speech and Hearing Science
- One course each in biological sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Grades of C or better for prerequisite courses; grades of C- are not acceptable.
- Oral and written communication skills necessary to interact with patients and colleagues.
- Scores on the general and writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) using the Midwestern University institution code of 1769.
- The test must have been taken no earlier than January 1, 2012.
- For more information about the GRE contact Educational Testing Services (ETS) at 866/473-4373 or visit www.ets.org/gre.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can comment on academic, clinical, and professional experiences of the applicant.
- A completed CSDCAS application.
- An interview with faculty (invitation only).
- During the on-campus interview day, write an essay given a clinical writing prompt (for interview candidates only).
- Commitment to abide by the Midwestern University Drug-Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy.
- Passage of the Midwestern University criminal background check.
- Proof of CPR certification through completion of a healthcare provider course certified by the American Heart Association.