2016 Inaugural Joint Program
Ward E. Perrin, D.O. Clinical Refresher Course and Alumni Reunion Weekend
Illinois Osteopathic Medical Society Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar
Thursday - Sunday| November 3 - 6, 2016
Hilton Chicago, Oak Brook Hills Resort and Conference Center
3500 Midwest Road
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Online hotel reservations
Hotel reservations by phone: 630/850-5555
$125 single or double occupancy
Request group rate for "Midwestern University"
For information, please contact
CME: 630/515-7355 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alumni: 630/515-6123 or email@example.com
This program will offer 30 hours of Category 1-A CME for physicians through interactive session; lectures; hands on osteopathic manipulation lab training. At the conclusion of this course, the learner will be able to:
Toughest Problems in Infectious Diseases
- Assess and recognize risk factors for reemerging viral diseases and recommend vaccine preventable measures.
- Define and review guidelines criteria for community and healthcare associate pneumonia.
- Define criteria for SIRS, sepsis, severe sepsis, septic shock, compare and contrast current guidelines.
- Describe epidemiology, transmission, presentations and treatment for Hepatitis B and C.
- Summarize the HALO approach to evaluating adult vaccine and adult vaccine needs.
Top Concerns in Pediatrics
- Discuss strategies to counsel patents toward evidence-based medicine instead of emotion-based treatment decisions for their child.
- Recognize, identify and describe atopic dermatitis and provide parental education.
- Explain and demonstrate osteopathic manipulative medicine for newborn.
- Recognize, screen and communicate with adolescents with substance abuse problems.
- Discuss presentation of degenerative knee and hip arthritis and treatment options.
- Describe the care pathway for back pain.
- Recognize movement disorder patterns.
- Assess multiple medication regimens and understand and manage polypharmacy in the elderly.
Clinical Topics in Medicine
- Define the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, importance of improving insulin secretion and proper control of blood sugar.
- Cite typical and atypical symptoms of coronary artery disease, diagnosis guidelines and treatment recommendations.
- Describe and discuss hypertension treatment guidelines.
- Quote updates of biologics in rheumatology.
- Identify safety issues concerning selected over-the-counter products.
Screening Updates and New Guidelines
- Review updates in male and female screening guidelines.
- Recite pediatric updates and guidelines.
- Describe the role of the certified nurse midwife in the current healthcare system.
- Summarize pain management updated guidelines.
Controversies in Medicine
- Assess alternative models for delivery of care.
- Explore strategies for safety and reduction of gun violence in the physician workplace.
- Understand the basic pharmacology, potential therapeutic uses and medical debate issues of marijuana and cannabinoid-like drugs.
- Discuss current prevalence of addiction and vulnerability to develop addictions.
Practice Management and Wellness
- Review major economic, psychology and sociology market factors influencing today's practice world.
- Explain and demonstrate current reporting evaluation and management services (e/m) codes and modifier-25. Identify OMT procedure codes and documentation.
- Explain current healthcare challenges for active and inactive military personnel.