To receive credit for coursework completed at other institutions prior to matriculation at Midwestern University, students must submit a Petition for Advanced Standing/Transfer of Credit Form and a course syllabus for each course the student is requesting to transfer. In addition, one official transcript must be submitted. All requests for Advanced Standing must be submitted prior to registration for the first quarter of the program. Requests will not be accepted after the student's first quarter in the program. The transfer of credit has the following conditions:
- A maximum of 40 quarter hours, 32 trimester hours, or 27 semester hours, of credit for coursework completed prior to matriculation may be considered;
- Transferred course credit is limited to graduate level courses in psychology or mental health from recognized, regionally accredited degree granting institutions;
- Credit may be awarded for required courses completed from other doctoral programs;
- Credit may only be awarded for courses in which a grade of B- or higher was attained;
- Credit may not be transferred for courses in Diversity. All students are required to complete PSYCD 1610: Diversity in Clinical Psychology at Midwestern University;
- Credit is not transferable for clerkship, practica or internship; (for more information refer to the current Clinical Training Manual);
- Other courses that include a competency gateway may be considered for transfer of credit. This will be determined on a case by case basis. Furthermore, in order for any credit to be granted for a course that includes a competency gateway, a competency examination is required to determine satisfactory performance before transfer of credit will be granted.
- Advanced Standing will only be granted for required courses. Advanced Standing will not be granted for MWU Clinical Psychology electives.
- Credit can only be awarded for courses completed within a seven-year period before matriculation.
All Advanced Standing requests will be reviewed by the Chair of the Program's Education Committee, the Course Director of the Midwestern University course for which the student is requesting Advanced Standing, and/or the Program Director. If a course is accepted for credit, the equivalent Midwestern University course and Advanced Placement (AP) notation will be recorded on the transcript along with the name of the institution at which the credit was earned. Any earned letter grade will not be included on the MWU transcript or used in the MWU GPA calculation.
Students requesting, and receiving, Advanced Standing understand that this might have financial and scheduling implications throughout their time at MWU. While the Program will work with the student, it is the STUDENT'S responsibility to ensure they have enough credits to qualify for Financial Aid for any given quarter.