The Scientist magazine released their annual list of "Best Places to Work in Academia," ranking Midwestern University the 6th best academic or noncommercial research institution in the nation. Only 40 universities and research centers in the United States earned rankings, based on 37 different criteria in eight separate areas.
"Midwestern University is honored to be among this elite group of universities and science centers in the United States recognized for supporting critical and important research," said Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., President & CEO of Midwestern University. "As a University, we consider research a vital ingredient for excellent teaching and are pleased that our more than 100 life science researchers are able to bring their enthusiasm and innovative research into the classroom to share with our students."
The full article with detailed survey results can be found in the July 2011 issue of The Scientist and is available online at www.the-scientist.com/bptw. Midwestern joins elite company in America's top-ranked scientific and educational facilities, including the J. David Gladstone Institute in San Francisco, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN, and the Carnegie Institute for Science at Stanford.
The Scientist, an award-winning magazine of the life sciences for the past 25 years, provides print and online coverage of the latest developments in the life sciences including trends in research, new technology, news, business and careers.
2011 Best Places to Work in Academia in the U.S.:
1. The J. David Gladstone Institutes, San Francisco, CA
2. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
3. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA
4. Carnegie Institution for Science, Stanford, CA
5. Children's Hospital Boston, MA
6. Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL, and Glendale, AZ
7. The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK
8. Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St. Louis, MO
9. Princeton University, NJ
10. Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK
11. Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, WA
12. Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
13. The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME
14. University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK
15. Georgetown University, Washington, DC
For more information, please contact:
Office of Communications
630/515-7333 (IL) or 623/572-3353 (AZ)