IL: Midwestern Dental Institute in Downers Grove Expands Team to Provide Quality Care
May 06, 2013
by Office of Communications
More than 20 new faculty members with years of dental practice experience have joined the team of professionals at Midwestern University's Dental Institute to provide excellent dental care to the community. The Dental Institute is a full-service dental clinic providing a wide-range of treatment at about half the cost.
The care at the Dental Institute will be performed by Midwestern University student dentists in their final years of extensive professional training under the close supervision of licensed faculty who have many years of private practice experience. Among the faculty members who will oversee treatment at the Dental Institute are:
- James K. Bahcall, D.M.D., M.S., F.I.C.D., F.A.C.D. Dr. Bahcall is a diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics and is a fellow in both the International and American College of Dentists. Dr. Bahcall has been involved with dentistry for over 27 years. He has published numerous scientific articles, as well as written chapters for endodontic textbooks.
- Andrew Bronny, D.D.S. Dr. Bronny attained his D.D.S. degree from Loyola University School of Dentistry. He founded and directed the General Practice Residency in Dentistry program at Loyola University Medical Center and served as chairman of the Department of Dentistry at Foster G. McGaw Hospital. He has maintained a private general dental practice for 36 years.
- Kelli Christensen, D.D.S. Dr. Christensen attended the University of Illinois at Chicago where she received her B.S. and D.D.S. degrees. Since graduation, she has been in private practice. Dr. Christensen enjoys all aspects of general dentistry with a focus on CAD/CAM, esthetics and crown and bridge.
- Victor Ricardo Gonzalez, B.S., C.D., D.D.S., M.S. Dr. Gonzalez received his dental degree from the University of San Carlos in Guatemala. He also attended University of Illinois at the Medical Center in Chicago where he obtained a Certificate of Pediatric Dentistry and a Master of Science degree. Dr. Gonzalez maintains an active private practice in Aurora.
- Thomas Hudson, D.D.S., A.B.G.D., F.S.B.G.D., M.A.G.D. Dr. Hudson received his dental degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry. He is certified by the American Board of General Dentistry and the Federal Services Board of General Dentistry and holds a Mastership in the Academy of General Dentistry. He initiated the Navy's first Advanced Education in General Dentistry training program and has served across the globe.
- Yosif Jabir, D.D.S. Dr. Jabir graduated from Creighton University School of Dentistry. He is a current member of the Academy of General Dentistry and a past member of the American Dental Association, American Academy of Endodontists, Illinois State Dental Society, and the Chicago Dental Society.
- Bruno C. Jham, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D. Upon obtaining his D.D.S. degree in Brazil, Dr. Jham completed a residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and obtained a Ph.D. degree in Oral and Experimental Pathology, both at the University of Maryland at Baltimore. Dr. Jham has over 10 years of experience in treating patients with oral lesions and patients with oral manifestations of systemic diseases.
- Robert B. John, D.D.S., F.A.G.D. Dr. John attended University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, receiving a B.S. and D.D.S. degree. After completing a General Practice Residency, Dr. John entered private practice in Chicago and also began his teaching career at University of Illinois College of Dentistry. For 24 years he was involved with a General Practice Residency at Rush University Medical Center, acting as Associate Program Director.
- Mary Kramer, B.S.N., D.D.S. Dr. Kramer joins the Midwestern University Dental Institute faculty with over two decades of clinical experience. Graduating with honors from University of Illinois College of Nursing, she then attended the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry. Previous clinical experience includes serving as a supervising dentist at the Dental Hygiene Clinic/William Rainey Harper College.
- Angelina Kula, D.D.S. Dr. Kula graduated from Loyola University College of Dental Surgery in 1987. Dr. Kula had a private practice in LaGrange Park for 23 years. She has lived in Downers Grove for 25 years.
- Joseph Kunnel, D.D.S., M.S., M.S., Ph.D. Dr. Kunnel completed his dental education at Northwestern University Dental School in Chicago. He received his specialty training in Orthodontics at the University of Illinois and attained a master's degree in Oral Biology. He has taught at varying capacities at Northwestern University Dental School, Department of Orthodontics at Marquette University, and Department of Orthodontics at the University of Illinois.
- Frank W. Licari, D.D.S., M.P.H., M.B.A. As Professor and Associate Dean at Midwestern University's College of Dental Medicine-Illinois, Dr. Frank Licari is responsible for developing the academic program for the College. Dr. Licari received his Doctor of Dental Surgery, Master of Public Health and Master of Business Administration degrees all from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- James Lin, D.M.D., B.S. Prior to joining Midwestern University in 2013, Dr. Lin was in private practice for five years. Preceding private practice, he served at Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine as Assistant Clinical Professor for seven years. Dr. Lin received his D.M.D. degree and a two-year program certificate for Advanced Education in General Dentistry from Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine.
- Christian Marquez, D.D.S, M.Sc. Dr. Marquez holds a D.D.S. degree from the National University of Mexico along with an M.Sc. degree in Periodontics from the University of Michigan. Previous academic appointments include several universities in Mexico and Colombia, and most recently Dalhousie University in Canada. Dr. Marquez has been involved in the field of dentistry for over 30 years.
- Reji Mathew B.D.S., MD.Sc. Dr. Mathew completed Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology residency and Masters of Dental Science Program at the University of Connecticut. The main focus of his radiology practice is Cone Beam CT (CBCT). Dr. Mathew has published several articles and has co-authored academic book chapters.
- Lillian Obucina, D.D.S., J.D.
Dr. Obucina is a dentist, attorney, and consultant. She graduated from Northwestern University Dental School and she received a Certificate in Prosthodontics. In 2002, she graduated from the John Marshall Law School with her Juris Doctor degree. She has practiced dentistry and law in Chicago and has presented ethics, health literacy, and risk management seminars for the ADA.
- Stephen Palatinus, D.D.S. Dr. Palatinus graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry. He is serving as treasurer for the Chicago Dental Society Foundation nonprofit Clinic in Wheaton. Dr. Palatinus has practiced restorative dentistry in Westchester for the last 18 years.
- Charles Patterson, D.D.S., M.S., M.B.A. Dr. Patterson graduated from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. He has over 30 journal publications and has lectured to many dental groups. Dr. Patterson's educational and research materials have been used by the Department of Defense since 1996.
- Frank Perry, D.D.S., M.Ed. Dr. Perry received his D.D.S. degree from St. Louis University. Previous academic appointments have included Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), College of Dentistry and Associate Professor at Northwestern University Dental School. At both UIC and Northwestern, he participated in the faculty practice. Prior to Northwestern and UIC appointments, Dr. Perry served in the United States Navy Dental Corps for 21 years.
- Joseph A. Toljanic, D.D.S. Dr. Toljanic received his D.D.S. degree from the Loyola University School of Dentistry and is a board certified Prosthodontist. Previous academic appointments include Northwestern University, Loyola University, and the University of Chicago. Dr. Toljanic has treated patients within his specialty of Prosthodontics and Maxillofacial Prosthodontics for 28 years.
- Darryn Weinstein, D.D.S., M.B.A., M.P.H. Dr. Weinstein is a dental graduate of the University of Iowa. He completed his training in Pediatric Dentistry at the University of Illinois at Chicago and went on to spend several years with Chicago's Infant Welfare Society, providing dental services to children from Chicago's low income community.
More information about the faculty or treatment options available at the Dental Institute is available at www.mwuclinics.com. The Dental Institute is currently accepting screening appointments for potential patients. The screenings will be held at the Dental Institute at the Midwestern Multispecialty Clinic located at 3450 Lacey Road, Downers Grove, IL. To schedule a screening appointment, please call 630-743-4500.