International Students - Employment

Intl student

International students can work on-campus only if they meet certain requirements. Also, international students must obtain specific employment authorization before working off- campus. Please note international students cannot hold a federal work study position. This is because the Federal Work Study is a need-based, federal financial aid program, which is available to only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and permanent residents/ eligible non-citizens.

F-1 On Campus Employment: An F-1 student may work at the University without authorization from the USCIS as long as the job does not interfere with the student's ability to maintain a full time course load for the quarter. Also, it is important that the I-20 is valid and current in order to seek or maintain on-campus employment. International students can work up to 20 hours / week when school is in session and up to 40 hours/ week during break week(s). Please check with the Registrar's office for more information

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT): An F-1 student may be authorized to a total of 12 months of full time practical training, which is a privilege provided by the U.S. government so students can gain practical experience in their field of study. The Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a temporary employment authorization, and in order to apply for this kind of employment authorization, you must receive a recommendation form from the Registrar and file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS. Once the USCIS approves your employment, they will send your EAD card (Employment Authorization Document)

Optional Practical Training STEM extension: an F-1 student who graduates with a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) degree is eligible to remain in the U.S for an additional 17 months on an Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM extension.  Currently, STEM extension is only available for the Master of Science in Cardiovascular Science (M.S) program

Intl student     Intl student


Social Security: A Social Security Number is a unique, nine-digit number assigned by the government, which authorizes individuals to work in the United States and determines eligibility for social security benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college. If you are interested in working on-campus, please contact the Registrar's office for more details.  Also, the Social Security Administration provides automated phone service 24 hours a day at 1-800-772-1212 or you can visit their website at  

Driver's License: International students interested in obtaining a state Driver's License should talk to Midwestern University's Designated School Official (DSO) for rules and regulations governing this privilege. Also, please visit the following websites for detailed information regarding the process, and other pertinent information:

Tax Information: All international students must file certain tax forms with the Federal government