Nanomedicine Center of Excellence in Translational Cancer Research (Nanomedicine COE-TCR)
Established by: College of Pharmacy-Glendale, Midwestern University, AZ
This research-based Center will solidify interdisciplinary teams of faculty that have begun productive collaborations, allow MWU to be more competitive for research and training programs, and assist in the establishment of partnerships with industry. This Center will improve the knowledge and technology of the therapeutics of cancer and aligns with the One Health Initiative as the resultant research will impact human and animal patients, as well as support the education of students. The Center is supported by Dr. Kathleen H. Goeppinger, President.
I am also pleased to announce that Dr. Volkmar Weissig, Professor and Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Dr. Tamer Elbayoumi, Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, will serve as Co-Directors of the Center. Drs. Weissig and Elbayoumi have launched productive collaborations with faculty representing the College of Health Sciences (CHS), the Division of Basic Science, The College of Dental Medicine (CDM), and the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM). The center has recently expanded to include faculty from The Chicago College of Pharmacy, as well. The Deans of these colleges have also extended their support for the establishment of this collaborative Center of Excellence.
As the Dean of the founding College of Pharmacy-Glendale (CPG), I take great pride in this strategic development that advances on our objectives of enhancing scholarly activity and research. In addition, students from Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Osteopathic Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Veterinary Medicine will be trained to participate in the Center initiatives, adding a new dimension to our educational mission.
Our vision is to build a growing institutional research investment on the broad and extensive experience of our multidisciplinary MWU-CPG team of well-established investigators in nanoscience and nanomaterials, and expand the current collaborative research network with a pre-clinical and clinical investigators, with diverse experiences and skills. Our efforts will integrate nanotechnology design, application and biomedical research, to establish a nanomedicine COE for translational cancer research (Nanomedicine COE-TCR), which can transform medical solutions to efficiently improve the quality of life of human and animal patients.
Announcements and Updates
Pharmacy in Glendale
- Dr. Volkmar Weissig and Dr. Vinay Nagaraj, from our Nanomedicien COE-TCR, are featured speakers at the upcoming Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Bioengineering Symposium, which will be held at the ASU Marston Theater in Tempe on Saturday, April 1 st, 2017.
- Dr. V. Weissig, President of World Mitochondria Society (WMS), announces the organization of Targeting Mitochondria World Congress 2017, which will be held will be held at Steigenberger Hotel, Berlin on October 23-24, 2017. https://targeting-mitochondria.com/introduction
- December 1 th, 2016: A full length article in "Academic Pharmacy Now" magazine (Official publication of American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, AACP), featuring our Nanomedicine COE-TCR, on p.6-7: https://issuu.com/aacp/docs/apn-2016issue5/7
- October 26 th, 2016: Nanomedicine COE-TCR investigators receive the Annual MWU-Gendale Multidisciplinary Research Award for 2016/17, in collaboration with Affiliated Laboratories Biorepositories (ALBR ®), Scottsdale, AZ
- June 12th, 2016: Nanomedicine COE-TCR investigators receive the Annual MWU-Downers Grove Multidisciplinary Research Award for 2016/17
- April 25th, 2016: College of Pharmacy-Glendale Establishes Interdisciplinary Center for Nanomedical Cancer Research (Nanomedicine COE-TCR) [citation]