Downers Grove Core Research Facility
State-of-the-art instrumentation for research at the Downers Grove, IL campus.
The Midwestern University Core Facility houses state-of-the-art instrumentation that is available to any Midwestern faculty, staff, or student researcher. This shared equipment laboratory space is located in Science Hall on the Downers Grove campus. It is actively funded by Midwestern University to support research, foster collaborative projects, drive scientific innovation and engage our community by hosting STEM educational programs.
The Midwestern University Core Facility has a wide range of equipment, with strengths in histology, imaging, and molecular and analytical biology.
- Histological processing instrumentation includes an automated tissue processor, embedding station, and microtome.
- High-speed, fully automated inverted fluorescence microscope, a laser scanning confocal microscope, and a scanning electron microscope.
- Comprehensive suite of flow cytometry instrumentation including a sensitive, high-throughput analytical flow cytometer, a cell sorter and an imaging flow cytometer.
- Liquid chromatography mass spectrometer, a hand-held 3D scanner, a high-throughput multimodal plate reader, a complete cell culture facility and more.
The Core Facility operates with faculty oversight and is supervised and operated by a full-time laboratory manager. Midwestern University has demonstrated its strong dedication to research by continuously adding to the Core Facility to strategically complement our existing instrumentation and adapt to the changing needs of our research community.
- Nikon AXR Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope
- Nikon SMZ25 Stereomicroscope
- Nikon Eclipse Ti2-E Inverted Fluorescence Microscope
- Tokai HIT Live Cell Incubation Chamber
- Eppendorf Injectman and Femtojet Microinjection System
- WPI SU-P1000 Next Generation Micropipette Puller
- JEOL Scanning Electron Microscope
- Leica EM CPD300 Critical Point Dryer
- Leica EM ACE600 High Vacuum Coater
- Molecular Devices ImageExpress Pico Imaging Plate Reader
- Artec Space Spider 3D Scanner
- Baker SterilGard III Advance Laminar Flow Hood
- DeNovix CellDrop FL Cell Counter
- BenchMark SureTherm 45 Incubator
- Nikon Eclipse Ts2 Inverted Light Microscope
- Beckman Coulter CytoFLEX Flow Cytometer
- Amnis FlowSight Imaging Flow Cytometer
- Bio-Rad S3e Cell Sorter
- PerkinElmer EnSpire Plate Reader with TRF module
- Eppendorf 5920R Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Agilent 6420 Triple Quad LC/MS with 1260 Infinity Multisampler
- IDEXX Catalyst One Blood Chemistry Analyzer
- Agilent Seahorse XFe24 Cellular Metabolic Analyzer
- Bio-Rad C1000 Touch Thermal Cycler with CFX96 Real-Time System
- BioSpec Mini-Bead Beater 24
- Thermo Scientific Nano Drop OneC
- Parr 6725 Semimicro Calorimeter
- Mettler Toledo ME204T Analytical Balance
- Sakura Tissue-Tek VIP 5 Tissue Processor
- Sakura Tissue-Tek TEC Paraffin Embedding Station
- Thermo Scientific Microm HM325 Rotary Microtome
- ShurStain 12 Well Histology Staining Station
- Bioseb Grip Strength Test
- Panlab Mouse Rotarod
- EVOS XL Core Microscope
- Dell XPS Data Analysis Desktop Workstation Computer
- i7 processor, 64GB Ram, 6GB Nvidia card
- Available Software: Photoshop, Image J, Kaluza, FCS Express, CytExpert, Nikon Elements, Artec Studio
- Wacom Cintiq Pro 13" monitor with Wacom Pro Smart Pen