The Student Accounts department within the Office of Student Financial Services will follow up with students to collect past due accounts. The overall goal is to encourage all students to pay their balance on time so that they are not faced with the consequences as outlined below.
Consequences of past due accounts can include any and all of the items listed below:
- A 1.5% late fee will be assessed at 10 days past due for all balances of $500 or more. Balances of $499 or less are assessed a fixed $7.50 late fee.
- Past due notices will be sent via email.
- Follow-up contacts will be made but are not limited to phone calls.
- At 15 days past due, the College Dean will be notified of the delinquency.
- At 30 days past due, student may be dropped from enrollment by the College.
- If a student is suspended or terminated from MWU, he/she must reapply for admission to MWU.
- Withholding of academic transcripts.
- Continued non-payment of account puts the student at risk of being referred to a third party for collection. This may result in a collection fee assessed and the delinquent account may be reported to one or more of the national credit bureaus.
Note: A student may be exempt from payment deadlines and permitted to continue in school without risk of suspension. However, students must notify Student Accounts of any, and all circumstances that may necessitate an exception to the payment deadlines. Exceptions to this policy may be made for the following reasons:
- Circumstances beyond the student's control (i.e. non-arrival of financial aid funds applied for well in advance of the due date);
- A payment plan has been approved by the Office of Student Financial Services