DEA Medication Access and Training Expansion (MATE) Act Compliance Course
Monday May 22, 2023
8:00 PM (EST), 9:00 PM (CST), 5:00 PM (PST, Arizona)
|Total CE Hours:||
|Instructor:||Mark Donaldson, BSP, RPH, PharmD, FASHP, FACHE|
|Disclosure:||Dr. Donaldson has no conflicts of interest|
Zoom Live Lecture, Interactive Discussion
On March 28, 2023 the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) issued guidance outlining requirements for a one-time, eight-hour training, “on the treatment and management of patients with opioid or other substance use disorders.” The Medication Access and Training Expansion (MATE) Act that was passed as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) of 2023 (P.L. 117-328) requires all DEA-registered providers to complete this training. This means YOU!
The deadline to satisfy this training requirement is the date of a practitioner’s next scheduled DEA registration submission beginning June 27, 2023. Practitioners will be required to check a box on their online DEA registration form to affirm that they have completed the training, regardless of whether the practitioner is a first-time applicant or is renewing their registration.
In compliance with the DEA requirements for this new comprehensive curriculum, we will cover the safe pharmacological management of post-operative dental pain and referral for appropriate treatment of patients with or at risk of developing opioid and other substance use disorders.
This program will focus on the appropriate analgesic selection and approach in helping manage these challenging patients, emphasizing strategies that focus on patient comfort and helping set you, your team and most importantly, your patients up for success. This course foundat
ional in helping meet the new DEA educational requirements and emphasizes the themes of patient and medication safety, focusing on successful evidence- and guideline-based strategies for appropriate postoperative analgesic prescribing.
This interactive program will also review the current clinical challenges and regulatory issues with a particular focus on the dental realm. Case studies will augment the delivery of key points and a problem-based learning approach is encouraged so that each participant’s questions are addressed.
Course Objectives: As a result of attending this class, you will be able to:
- Discuss the Medication Access and Training Expansion (MATE) Act and understand the DEA requirements for this new
- Discuss the pathophysiology of pain as it relates to dentistry
- Understand the perfect analgesic recipe to keep (almost) all of your patients out of pain – first time, every time
- Describe the different types of analgesics available and how to match the right drug at the right dose for the right patient and the right procedure
- Explain why narcotic-containing analgesics should not be routinely prescribed for post-operative dental pain
- Discuss the importance of consulting one’s state Prescription Drug Therapy Monitoring Program
Meet the Speaker
Dr. Donaldson received his baccalaureate degree from the University of British Columbia and his Doctorate in Clinical Pharmacy from the University of Washington. He completed a residency at Vancouver General Hospital, and has practiced as a clinical pharmacy specialist, clinical coordinator and director of pharmacy services at many healthcare organizations in both Canada and the United States. He is currently Associate Principal of Clinical Pharmacy for Vizient’s Advisory Solutions, and lives in Whitefish, Montana
Dr. Donaldson is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Pharmacy at the University of Montana, Clinical Associate Professor in the School of Dentistry at the OHSU, and affiliate faculty in Dentistry at UBC. He has lectured internationally to both dental and medical practitioners and has spent the last 28 years focusing on dental pharmacology and dental therapeutics, and is a leader in the field.
Dr. Donaldson has published numerous peer-reviewed works and textbook chapters. He serves on the Editorial Board for the Journal of the American Dental Association, and is a reviewer for over ten other different journals. He is board certified in healthcare management and is the Past-President and Regent of the American College of Healthcare Executives’ Montana Chapter. Dr. Donaldson is the 2016 recipient of the AGD’s Dr. Thaddeus V. Weclew Award and in 2019 he was conferred by the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) with the, “Special Friend of Canadian Dentistry Award.” This award is given to an individual outside of the dental profession in appreciation for exemplary support or service to the profession as a whole.
Martha C. Clements, M. Ed., Continuing Education Specialist
Office Phone: 623-572-3870
- This program has a different Cancellations and Refunds policy compared to our standard lectures and workshops. Please read carefully (see below).
- Contact Ms. Clements for additional payment options.
There are three ways to register for our continuing education programs:
- Online See Above
- By mail: if you want to pay by check, make it out to Midwestern University, click here to fill out the online form, print it out and send it along with your payment to: Ms. Martha Clements, College of Dental Medicine-AZ Midwestern University, Office of Continuing Dental Education, 19555 N 59 th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85308
- By email: scan completed registration form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing payment information. Please call 623-572-3870 if you have any questions about course content, directions, registration, etc. (click to download registration form)
Payment Methods: We accept checks, American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. All checks should be made payable to: Midwestern University.
Cancellations and Refunds:
Full tuition refunds less $50 are issued if the participant notifies the Dental CE Office in writing (email is acceptable) of their cancellation 4 weeks in advance of first day of class.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
The Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona Continuing Dental Education (MWUCDM-AZ CDE) office reserves the right to end registration when the enrollment limit is reached and to cancel, modify or alter content, faculty or location for any course if circumstances indicate such a change is advisable. If the MWUCDM-AZ CDE finds it necessary to cancel a course, a full refund will be issued. No travel expenses will be refunded to the registrant in the event of course cancellation or cancellation of any registration.
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine Arizona is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine Arizona designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.